Monday, March 2, 2009

Better Than a Hallmark Card Moment

Tonight I spoke at Catalyst, one of the services at our church. I was just speaking for a few minutes, sharing about what I do in South Africa. The "real" speaker at tonight's service was a man who happened to be my pastor when I was in junior high.

After I spoke there was a time of worship (before the main speaker), and during that time this man came up and told me he was proud of me. I cannot tell you what that meant to me. I (who grew up without a dad) felt a sort of fatherly approval from someone who had been in a position of authority over me during some critical years. I looked at him and said, "But I wouldn't be where I am today if people like you hadn't influenced my life, especially when I was unlovable." He looked at my, got teary, and said, "Thank you." I looked back at him and said, "No, thank YOU."

I cannot describe in words what it meant to have a mentor be proud of me and to be able to thank them for their influence and tell how it made a difference in my life. I am so thankful for that opportunity.

I feel SO blessed. I am going to bed with a smile on my face and my heart bursting with gratitude.

No comments: