Sunday, October 2, 2011

Thoughts on Determination

When I first moved to South Africa, there were foods I missed, dishes I couldn't prepare and things I couldn't find that left a "hole" in my cuisine.  I was happy to discover a host of new flavours, dishes and food items, but I still missed things from America:  fresh cranberries, Starbucks coffee and chocolate peanut butter ice cream.  Queso cotijo, tomatillos, and boysenberries.

Over the past four years I've learned to adapt my cooking.  I set aside my American dishes and learned how to cook South African dishes.  I learned what the local ingredients were and how to use them.  I developed a sort of American/African fusion cooking (ostrich chili, lemon and passionfruit meringue tart, and curried pumpkin and apple soup).  I even learned what works as a substitute when the original ingredient can't be found.

But I still miss the combination of chocolate and peanut butter.  So today, instead of complaining (of which I've done my fair share), I began brainstorming.  How can I make something that I can't buy here?  And what can I use in place of the ingredients I can't find? I planned, worked, substituted and got crazily creative.  It was a huge risk - would my food substitutions work?

I am happy to say that my experiment was a success, which brings me to my point (for today's post is not about my cooking skills):  I wonder what it would be like if I applied the same creativity, diligence and stubborn persistence to other areas of my life that have "holes"?  How would that change difficult situations?  My work and ministry?  My marriage?

I know one thing for sure:  there would be a lot less complaining and a lot more joy in the journey.


1 comment:

wakeupcowboys said...

Now that I live back in America, I sorely miss our Ecuadorean food...homesickness sets in.