Saturday, February 16, 2008

Dialogue With a Six-Year-Old Boy

My son has a crush on his Grade 1 teacher. Today we had this conversation:

Ben: "Mommy, I wish you were Miss F. I love you, but... I like her better."
Me: "That's okay. I understand."
Ben: "Can you cut your hair? You would look just like Miss F. if you did!"
Me: "I don't think so, Ben. I like my hair the way it is."

(a few minutes later)...

Ben: "Mommy, I gave you a 3 for your ABC rating this week (Attitude Behavior Character - the kids are assessed every week at school, and Ben thinks he can assess ME!), but if you try really hard to be like Miss F., I'll give you a 4 next week."
Me: "Miss F. is wonderful, isn't she?"
Ben: "Yeah.."
Me: "And beautiful."
Ben: (blushing bright red) "Yeah..."
Me: "But Ben, there's only one Miss F. in the world. I wouldn't make a very good Miss F., even if I tried. I can only be me."
Ben: (long pause) "Well ... can you at least cut your hair so you look like her?"

1 comment:

Carol Crist said...

Angela:
Thanks so much for all the entries on your blog. I always keep up with them and enjoy your creative writing abilities. I like your hair the way it is!!!!!!!!!!! Much love to all of you Carol Crist