Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Not a Hero... Yet

I am not a hero because I live in Africa. The real heroes are the ones who live incarnationally among the poor, the disenfranchised and the dying. The ones who aren't afraid of brokenness, suffering and death. The ones who love like Jesus loves and don't care about status, reputation or wealth. The ones who aren't afraid to be lonely and misunderstood in order to touch the world with the love of God Himself.

I wish I were a hero but I'm not there yet. It's hard for me to separate what I want from what Jesus wants. I wish I were better at that. I really, really want to be better at that. I have been doing a lot of soul-searching lately, and all I can come up with is this:
Jesus, make me like You... completely, wholly, and entirely like You. That's all I want.

4 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Amen, My beautiful, amazing friend. Amen. I'm right here alongside you on this.

wakeupcowboys said...

Does "to live incarnationally" mean to actually live with and like the poorest of the poor--in tents, shacks, ghettos, eating the same food, etc?

Anna said...

...wherever God has called you to live. That call is different for each person. But it's about stepping into the fullness of God's call on my life. On your life. On each person's life.

steveT said...

actually.....there are times you have been my hero...even if only for a day. it's pretty friggen' awesome. and it does usually remind me of Someone. ;-)
~steveT