Wednesday, March 28, 2012

An Interesting Week

On Sunday I had the absolute honour of seeing Vusi Mahlasela in concert.  I first heard his music in 2006, when I was researching all things South African.  I admired his guitar playing and lyrics very much, but knew little else of him or the context of his music.  When I found out he was giving a concert at UC Berkeley, I wanted very much to attend but was unable. So... when we moved to South Africa in 2007, seeing Vusi in concert was at the top of my list. 

Four and a half years went by with no Vusi concert.  In the meantime, however, I was a student of South Africa.  Feeling like I had been thrown into the deep end and left to fend for myself, I began to learn bureaucracy, daily life, culture, cuisine and how to drive on the left side of the road.  In retrospect, this added to my appreciation of the concert, the music, and the man himself.  Vusi's music is so poetic and while it speaks of some painful parts of South Africa's history, it always ends on a hopeful and inspiring note.

On Tuesday my iPod was stolen.  In the past four years I've had a car, my ID documents, my bank cards and my handbag stolen.  And now my music (which for a musician, is hitting below the belt!).  I know the crime stats of South Africa, and I never thought I was above the statistics our outside of them.  For some reason, however, losing my music really bothers me.

So... the best of South Africa and the worst of South Africa in one week.  The question is: on which am I going to focus?  I know what my natural tendency would be, but I also know that intentionality says a lot about how the day/week/life is going to turn out.

I want to be more intentional.

No comments: