Friday, December 28, 2007

The Evolution of Culture Shock

I've decided that there are phases to culture shock (at least for me) coming from the United States to South Africa. Here they are, in sequential order:

1. This country is cool! Everything is so different! Life is an adventure! Hey, check out this frozen tub of chicken livers!
2. I'm confused! Everything is so different! People are either laughing at me or mad at me. I don't know how to do anything "right". Ugh - how many tubs of chicken livers does a person need?
3. I feel guilty for having so much while others have so little. It's jarring to go to a shopping mall, and then drive by a squatter camp. Wow, things are really different here. I miss home and I could just about eat that tub of chicken livers.
4. I am utterly overwhelmed. If I were to work 24/7 for the rest of my life, what I do would only be a drop in the bucket. There are too many orphans, too many who live in poverty, too much heartache. How can I go back to my house and enjoy Christmas? Nothing is the same. I'm not hungry.
5. I can only do what God asks me to do - and that is sufficient. Everything is different, but that's okay. I can't do anything "right"...YET. It's okay to have a house and bed; just be a good steward. And chicken livers aren't so bad.... as long as they're covered in chocolate and peanut butter!

"For He Himself is our peace." - Ephesians 2:14

3 comments:

Shawn Stutz said...

I totally understand. How can the church do what only the Savior can? How can the Savior empower every member of the church do what He wills? How does His will get done on 'earth' like it is in 'heaven'? The Lord's prayer in action...

It's perplexing and yet faith strengthening at the same time. This is a good conversation either way.

Anonymous said...

Shawn, Let's have that conversation... come on over! And bring your family this time; we have beds for all of you!

Thanks for the comments and encouragement; they mean a lot.

Anatswanashe said...

Thank you for using my Guide and if it work for you that makes me happy


Lawyers in Pretoria