Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Hills are Alive With the Sound of Kwaito

Last night we went to the Grade 7 arts and culture production at my kids' school. This is a big deal for Grade 7's as it's their last year of primary school as well as the end of the school year.

The four Grade 7 classes each performed excerpts from famous musicals, but they added a South African spin to them. In addition to performing the traditional time-period dances that went with each musical, they added a South African modern dance to each one, incorporating it into the musical's plot. There were dances from the 1950's and 1960's, as well as modern House, Hip Hop and traditional South African dances. It was SO cool!

I suddenly thought of Hollywood movies and their influence around the world. I don't understand why kids try to emulate Hollywood celebrities. There was so much talent bursting out of the Grade 7 kids last night; they don't NEED to copy Hollywood stars. They are amazing all on their own. And these kids are the future of this country. I pray that they will reach their God-given potential and not succumb to the pressures of conforming to some silly standard set by some other country.

(P.S. You rock, Lesego!!! Can I have your autograph?)

2 comments:

jonna said...

Ha! I just watched that movie with my kids yesterday.

wakeupcowboys said...

Sounds fabulous. I agree about people copying other countries. On the other hand, it's fun to incorporate the best creative stuff with our own "out of the box" way of doing things.