Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mondays With Auntie Hope

The past few Mondays Auntie Hope hasn't been home. I started to get worried about her, so I went down to the management office of the retirement centre. They said Auntie Hope's been really deurmekaar the past several weeks and her family is really concerned . They've been keeping her longer over the weekends ("deurmekaar" is a great Afrikaans word that means "confused", but it goes deeper than that, which is probably why it's used in English just as frequently. If you think of a pile of spaghetti noodles all interwoven and stuck together, you'll have a good idea of what the word means).

I miss Auntie Hope, and I'm going to have to change my schedule so I can come visit her on a different morning each week. I also thought I'd have more time with Auntie Hope, that she wouldn't decline so quickly. I feel sad.

Time really is a strange thing. Sometimes you think you have too much of it, and other times there isn't enough. I guess the important thing is to make the most of every opportunity.

"Be wise in the way you act towards outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation always be full of grace..." - Colossians 4:5-6

No comments: