Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Some Wise Words in Afrikaans

I learned a saying in Afrikaans today that I think is brilliant:

"Ek kan nie help as 'n voël oor my kop vlieg, maar ek kan keer dat hy nes maak op my kop."

Loosely translated, it means, "I can't help that a bird flies over my head, but I can keep it from making a nest in my hair." We may not be able to control everything in life (very little, perhaps!), but we can control our attitudes and responses.

I am preaching to myself here, as I find myself complaining about the morning traffic far too often. On my way home, I was stuck in traffic again. When I finally arrived home, I poured a glass of water, only to find brown water coming out of the tap. Guess what my first response was? Complaining! But here's the thing - far more good things happened today than the three bad things I mentioned. I have a job that I love. I have wonderful colleagues, friends, and teachers. I have good health and a family. I have a working car and a roof over my head. Last but certainly not least, I have a faith that sustains me when the things of this world don't. I should be filled with gratitude rather than complaints!

No more bird nests in my hair!

 

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Thank you for the reminder. I am currently completely surrounded by people who have birds nests in their hair and I was just complaining about their negativity which of course was building my own nest! Gonna go wash my hair now...

Stel said...

Ja-nee!
(you know that one by know?)