Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Beginnings....

This is a blog about learning to be American African, about the clash of my American culture with the South African culture(s), about learning to live with mosquito bites and crazy bureaucracy, and about slowly becoming people-oriented instead of task-oriented. Come along for the ride... It won't happen on your time frame or your schedule, it will cause you to miss appointments and deadlines, the road will be riddled with potholes ("slaggate", in Afrikaans) and mud, but it will also give you a view to beautiful African sunsets, gracious, hospitable people, the freshest tropical juices and an amazing perspective on God's love for His people all over the world. Will you join me on this journey?

3 comments:

Christo said...

Hey Annie

Welcome to Pretoria. It is a real pleasure to have you here. Remeber the abbreviation TIA. When in doubt just use this as an excuse
Christo

ROSIE said...

Beautiful Sister,

Mom sent me the link to your blog and I've savoured it all this morning over coffee. Your reflections on SA are a beautiful reflection of who you are, and who God is making you to be.

Love,
Rosie

Anonymous said...

Years ago, I drove down Voortrekkerstreet and I was in the crossing, very very heavy traffic, in the middle of the crossing, traffic suddenly came to a standstill. The traffic officer pulled me off, gave me a fine for blocking the traffic, the lane next to me, there was a Zimbabwean, he was pulled off too...the traffic officer that pulled him off, came over to mine and said..."he is from Zimbabwe, he 'didn't know'...." and they let him go...me, "knowing the traffic would suddenly block ME"... i was given a fine...for being a citizen and for "knowing" what was going to happen...so, use it to your advantage that you are foreign...LOL! [I just thought it was unfair to fine me...but anyway...]