Wednesday, November 28, 2007

School Uniforms



Beginning in January, my son (my SON!) has to wear knee socks to school - brown knee socks with an orange stripe around the top. It's like the tube sock's evil twin, separated at birth and sent to where all the other black sheep from the leg warmer family go.... South African public schools.

Did I mention the brown polyester shorts, white dress shirt and brown dress shoes? It's the sort of thing Benjamin would get beat up for wearing in the States. Here, it's quite normal, and standard uniform for boys. The only difference is the colour, depending on which school you attend. My son's school colours are brown and orange, reminiscent of 1970's Taco Bell employees. Every time I drop him off at school I start craving burritos.

Have you ever seen the Olympic opening ceremonies? I always laughed at the team from Bermuda, who marched into the stadium wearing their suit jackets, shorts and dress shoes. I'm not laughing anymore.