Thursday, November 29, 2007

Basking in God's goodness




I have been pointing out the differences between South African and American culture here - the funny, the strange and the frustrating, but it's time to tell you what I love about South Africa.

South Africa gets into your blood. The red clay soil, the big sky and awesome thunderstorms, the many bird species - even the thorny acacia trees - are slowly seeping into my system and I find that in every breath I take, Africa is becoming more and more "home". Yes, violent crime is a fact of life and AIDS has hit harder here than in most countries, but the earth is still full of the Lord's glory, and I see it here every day. Everyone I meet - white, black, purple, green or blue - is made in the image of a Holy God. Every lizard that crawls on my walls bears testimony to a creative God. Every sunset points to the greatest Artist of all time. Every tear-stained face reminds me that we have a Father in Heaven who is full of mercy, compassion, and a love we can't even fathom.

What a gift to be able to bear witness to the goodness of God here in South Africa. I am SO blessed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Stuff your getting there