Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Okay, so it's June, but by season and weather, it's one week before Christmas. This whole winter-without-Christmas thing is really messing with my mind!

I have been playing Christmas music all week. I have been missing my family terribly all week. Next week is the shortest day of the year (I can attest to this, because the sun is just rising when we leave to take our children to school each morning). It is cold. So where are the Christmas decorations, the carolers, the coloured lights and baubles and getting together with friends to share warm gingerbread lattes? I'm actually thinking about putting up my tree next week.

Last week a short-term team from our home church came. They brought gifts from friends and family for us. It truly WAS like Christmas, opening the suitcase and finding our favourite coffee, candles, crackers, spices, and other familiar goodies. What a treat! But...

Do you want to know the truth? As much as we appreciate it, as much as we feel loved and pampered, it's just stuff. It's the people behind the gifts- the love of family and friends- that makes Christmas special, that makes those long winter days bearable. The decorations, the songs, even the gingerbread lattes, are things I can ultimately live without. It's hugs from mum and dad, shared conversations with good friends, seeing my nephews and nieces grow up... that's what I miss and cherish most of all.

So for all of you displaced northern hemisphere people... Merry Christmas. And to Jesus, who loves me without reservation and taught me how to live... thanks for putting up with a crazy girl who thinks Christmas should be in June!

2 comments:

Angela's Mom said...

It's sad you don't miss you side of the family as much as you miss Dan's family. We all love you more than you'll ever comprehend.

ROSIE said...

A blessed Christmas to you all. Christmas is, after all, about Love come down...and Love Himself knows no season.