Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thoughts on Eternal Life

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

70 orphans from Kgotlelelang Primary School recited this verse in unison last week. When they finished, they smiled huge smiles; they were so proud of themselves! I have heard this verse a thousand times, but this time - THIS time - the phrase "eternal life" cut to my soul and I began to wonder:

How does an orphan, who is intimately acquainted with death, think of eternal life? For so many, there is nothing but "eternal death" as they lose family member after family member, primarily due to AIDS. Does eternal life mean more to someone who has "walked through the valley of the shadow of death"? Is it treasured more?

I sometimes think they know more of God's love and grace than I do, and that I can learn more from them than they can from me.

No comments: