Tuesday, August 11, 2009

101 Things to Do With Leftover Mexican Food

Okay, so we've been raving about Mexican food for two years to everyone in South Africa (because we can't get it here and miss it), and our friends from Stellenbosch wanted to try it. I figured, I'm from California, I should be able to make it myself, right? So in a weird but lekker culture clash we had a braai/Mexican fiesta. I made homemade pico de gallo, guacamole, refried beans, burritos, rice, etc. - no small feat considering everything had to be made from scratch. Our friends brought cool drink and an amazing South African pudding (dessert).

The problem with me is that I have trouble estimating how much food to make and end up making too little or too much. Fortunately (for them) I made too much. Unfortunately (for us) I made too much. I have a big problem wasting food, so for the past three days we've been eating leftover Mexican food for lunch and dinner, which equates to six meals (and counting).

The first day of leftovers was great (Another burrito? Awesome!). By today, though, I was feeling pretty uninspired. How many different meals can you make using rice, beans and guacamole? We had leftover burritos, tostadas, a weird sort of nachos, white fish with pico de gallo and rice, but today... I was really at a loss.

I ended up opening a can of Pilchards (sardines), added some onions, cumin and fresh coriander (cilantro) and made a weird stew to put on top of the rice with grated cheese on top of that. It was desperate, I know, but it actually turned out quite tasty, and I have to say that even my kids liked it.

So all that leaves is another meal of refried beans and guacamole, and then the leftovers are GONE. Any ideas for lunch tomorrow?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Where do you buy your mexican food in Pretoria?

We have just started a small corn tortilla manufacturing Plant in the east of Pretoria.

Contact me at MASAFRICACORN@gmail.com