Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Downside of Being an Immigrant

After two years of living in South Africa I really thought I was settled (for the most part). I know to say "robot" instead of "traffic light", "jersey" instead of "sweater" and I've stopped saying "Dude, that rocks!" But not only has my English changed; I've also changed the way I hold my fork and knife (which I now use to eat pizza and sandwiches instead of my fingers), the way I dress (no more holey jeans) and I try - I *try*- not to be too loud or obnoxious. But every now and then culture shock still rises up to bite me in the bum (notice I didn't say "butt").

Lately I've been wishing that my nationality didn't precede me when I enter a room. That is to say, sometimes I just want to be me and not me, the American. Does that make any sense? People are constantly pointing out what is different about me or teasing me when I say something funny or look confused because I don't get the joke, but if they only knew how hard I've worked to fit in, to learn the culture, the mannerisms, the language, the ways of being and doing things here....

It is, at times, an isolating feeling to be an immigrant. It's par for the course, I know, but still - I feel lonely today.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That's rough, and I'm sorry to hear that. What's interesting is how different cultures are even within SA. I notice Afrikaans people finding it funny when English people try to speak Afrikaans, but I almost never see English people laugh at a funny accent by someone who is first-language Afrikaans.

I guess the only consolation is that there are mean people everywhere... And most of us are really nice :)

liza said...

I am so sorry! I know how you feel. You are doing better than me. Yesterday we were in Spur's and I was trying to put those skinny onion rings on my fork with a small piece of meat and they kept falling off. I finally looked at Chris and said, "I am too hungry for this" and put my fork in my right hand and ate like an American. We will have to hang in there we will get there someday.

Unknown said...

i understand....thats all i have to say...i understand...and i am experiencing it the opposite way round...but it gets better...promise :)

Unknown said...

Rian, I have many times in my life experienced English people deriding Afrikaans people for their English accent, especially growing up in KwaZulu-Natal. English people so seldom attempt to speak Afrikaans (my English friends are often very self conscious of their supposed "accent") that when they do, Afrikaans people usually find it very refreshing and act encouragingly.

I sometimes get tired of people in the US constantly referring to me as The South African, and remarking on my idiosyncrasies, but I love 'em anyway.

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with Rian, if people "laugh", it's not that they laugh AT them, they will give a smile as they find it refreshing having English speaking Afrikaans. I LOVE the accent of English people speaking Afrikaans and my daughter's friend is from the Ukraine and she's teaching him Afrikaans and we "laughed" as we LOVED/ENJOYED it!! I would love to sit down for a whole day and just listen to the accent of an English person speaking Afrikaans...it is BEAUTIFULL!!!!!
Sorry to hear you were "lonely", i know that feeling where I'm working (teaching), missing my teacher colleagues in Pretoria with all the fun and jokes we used to share in the staff room, here, at my school (and other schools where I taught,) we DO NOT have it..we are more "loud" in our staff room..well, at my previous school in Wonderboom South (PRetoria) and we were ALL always in the staff room breaks etc to share even more jokes - or the joys of teaching...but at my current school, most are "hiding" in their department rooms or class rooms...funny!