Friday, October 16, 2009

To My Husband

Do you realise in the past six months we've
taken the car in for repairs
at least fifteen times
listened to a neurologist diagnose our son
lost our jobs and reputation
spent more sleepless nights
worrying, wondering, praying
huddled together
through the cold South African winter?

You have been a pillar of reason, strength,
pointing me to grace
and I wish I had your wisdom, could
encourage you the same
so let me start by saying

I'm sorry about the hamsters;
they *told* me they were both girls
(but at least your silk worm made a cocoon)

and if I pour some fresh granadilla juice
we can sit on the trampoline
under the stars
watch the Southern Cross
until a summer thunderstorm comes
waters the red soil
cleanses the air in preparation
for another day which you and I
will get through

because we made a toast to Hope
here in South Africa

3 comments:

wakeupcowboys said...

You two are the best! I'm weeping with you. I'm hoping with you. What can we do for you? Our email hasn't worked for about two weeks.We're at Amy's until Monday a.m. Email her address for news.

ROSIE said...

This is beautiful, Annie. My love and prayers are with you both.

Dan Erickson said...

Thank you, Annie.

Here's to rental cars, hamsters, silkworms, red mud, and a very wet trampoline.