Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Who Writes This Stuff, Anyway?

I have come to the conclusion that you need a university degree to understand the ins and outs of health care. This may strike a nerve with those of you in the U.S. who are debating ObamaCare, but I am happy to say that it is just as horrible the world over.

Here in South Africa health insurance is called medical aid. I think a medical "scheme" is the same thing, but to be honest, I don't really know.

Today I got a letter from my medical aid saying that "Day-to-day expenses will be refunded from OHEB first at NHRPL tarriffs and MPL rates and when it is depleted, from your Savings Account up to cost. Should claims be refunded from OHEB in excess of the allowed tarriffs, the balance will be refunded from Savings. Your Safety Net Level is reached through the accumulation of your claims paid from OHEB and Savings and your own pocket through the year at MPL rates and NHRPL tarriffs."

Umm...thanks. It's all so clear now. But what I really want to know is, if I have nightmares about NHRPL tarriffs and MPL rates and if my OHEB attacks me, is that covered by my medical aid? Will the Safety Net catch me?

1 comment:

Dan Erickson said...

Insurance people live in an alternate universe. Don't feel bad though. They get all confused when they have to play with their children.