Thursday, December 24, 2009

Am I the Only One Who Doesn't Get It?

I have decided that the Christmas decorations (like most other things American) have become a bit excessive. The fad this year seems to be giant blow-up lawn decorations. For instance, there are people around the corner whose Christmas decorations include an inflatable snowman on a motorbike, an inflatable Santa pumping petrol and an inflatable reindeer on a surfboard up on the roof. In fact, they were so filled with the urge to decorate everything in sight that they decorated the stop sign on the street as well. Every time we turn the corner we have to stop at a sign covered in tinsel with letters outlined in green glitter stuff (that can't be legal, can it?).

I don't mind twinkle lights and decorations, but honestly, what does a giant blow-up Santa pumping petrol have to do with Christmas (I thought his reindeer flew, anyway)? And the fact that people actually pay money for such things is a bit scary.

When I mentioned this to Dan his response was, "If they made a giant inflatable Santa installing Linux on his computer I'd put it on my lawn." So much for my soapbox.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be Ubuntu Linux right?

beti said...

you are not the only one.
It is things such as these blow-up Santas that make me repeat "this world is not my home. I'm just passing through." This is foreign territory.