Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I Learned Something New About the Culture Today

I figured out something today. Apparently, in Afrikaner culture, it's customary to stop by for coffee and greet someone before they leave on a trip. I don't know, but we had so many people phone or stop by for coffee, wanting to greet us before we leave. Consequently I *still* have not packed the suitcases (I haven't even gotten the suitcases down from the cupboard!).

At first I thought, I'm busy and have so many things to do. Don't they know that? Having to play the hostess and serve coffee keeps me from getting my last-minute errands done. But as the day progressed, I realised something important: packing can wait. People can't.

I have to say, I felt SO loved that so many people stopped by to wish us well. Who am I that so many people care? It's a bit mind-boggling. I decided to let the packing go. We went to Mader's (a truly bizarre cultural experience if you're ever in Pretoria) and bought a kilo of biltong. Every time someone came over for coffee, we shared a "Last Supper" of biltong with them (I guess South Africa has gotten into our blood as we have been eating a lot of "lasts" this week -wors and pap, vetkoek, biltong, chicken livers, and even pannekoeke).

So now it's way past bedtime, the laundry still isn't done, the suitcases aren't packed, I'm stuffed with food, but I am basking in the love and care of South African friends. South Africans truly know how to put people before tasks. And that is worth every bit of last-minute packing that will occur tomorrow!

2 comments:

HC1MN said...

Don't pack. We have a new, well stocked Goodwill nearby.

Unknown said...

Hope you are not leaving for good. I enjoy your Pretoria blog.

I think all Africans do the last coffee visit thing. In some cultures more so than others. Enjoy.

Mbini
pretoria-south-africa.com