Friday, July 2, 2010

Friday's Reflection

I've been thinking a lot about the story in John 8 where a woman is caught in the act of adultery and all the Pharisees and teachers of the law want to stone her, and Jesus says, "Okay. Whoever is without sin can throw the first stone."

I don't have anything brilliant to say because I've been a Pharisee. Still am, sometimes. But God broke my heart a while back and I realised - long story short - that we're all essentially toothless winos but God loves us anyway. We're all fallen, broken, hurting, longing for a Love that can make us whole. We burp and fart like everyone else, disappoint those we love, stumble, fall, get back up and then stumble and fall again. But too often I find myself walking around with a rock held tightly in each fist, ready to throw at the first person who walks by that might be a "worse" sinner than I am. And it's time to put down the stones.

"...do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" - Galatians 2:21

" 'Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?' 'No one, sir,' she said. 'Then neither do I condemn you,' Jesus declared." - John 8:10-11

In response to a Love that redeeming, there are no words. Only tears.

No comments: