Monday, July 5, 2010

More Thoughts on the 4th of July

The 4th of July, or Independence Day, is an American holiday in which the Americans celebrate their independence from England, but it has come to represent more than that. It is a day in which Americans celebrate, well, being American. It is a day in which their love of country and all things American is at its strongest. And that's okay.

I realised, however - and maybe this comes from having lived in a foreign country for nearly three years - that God doesn't love Americans more than anyone else. America is not the greatest country on earth, nor is it the best. I realise that this may sound unpatriotic of me, but I merely wish to point out the fact that God loves the people of all 200 (or so) nations equally. He does not pick favourites.

In terms of material wealth and personal freedoms, America has been blessed, but whether that was through God or greed I do not know. I only know that America's blessing must not be hoarded to herself. It must be shared with the rest of the world.

With freedom come opportunity - and responsibility. And so I say to you, United States of America: do not turn a blind eye to the needs of the world. Do not become so wrapped up in your own greatness that you become selfish (or worse, self-absorbed). Whatever is great, whatever it is you love about America, have the courage to share that with the rest of the world, all the time keeping a humble atttitude and realising that you can learn other aspects of greatness from other nations.

3 comments:

C.G. Koens said...

Neil and Becky turned me on to your blog last week. They thought I would appreciate it as we used to live in Lesotho and spent some time in SA - and they were right. I've laughed a lot and it has brought back many good (and some painful) memories. I certainly agree with this post and have been dealing with many of the same thoughts and feelings - only from across the pond. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

Anna said...

Hi Carrie,

Glad you enjoy it! Lesotho is a beautiful country. We spent Christmas there a few years back. I'd love to hear your story sometime. Say hi to Neil and Becky for me!

-annie

Nikita said...

You just confirmed what my American chess friend - Dan - [he's commented here on your blog once] said to me in the past too.