Thursday, July 29, 2010

In my Perfect World...

I think there should be a law that says no appliances are allowed to break down and no foreign bureaucracies must be dealt with until you're over jet lag. (Ah, if only reality would comply with my demands!)

The day we got back from Malaysia, my cell phone broke. This may not be a big deal to some of you, but our house was not wired to have a land line, so we rely on our cell phone as our only phone. Without it, I have no means of communicating with the "outside world."

I went to the Virgin Mobile shop to see if I could either get my phone repaired or replace it. They said I qualified for a free phone upgrade, as we've had a contract with them for three years, but they were out of phones. They only had one phone left, and it was hot pink.

Virgin Mobile shop #2 said they would have to run a credit check if I wanted to replace my phone, and they weren't sure they could even do that since we didn't have a South African id number (but we have a contract with you already, I kept saying).

Virgin Mobile shop #3 said they needed a whole host of paperwork - passports, proof of residence, proof of salary, etc. etc. etc. (but we already have a contract with you - you already have that information!)

Virgin Mobile shop #4 took my phone in for repairs and gave me a free upgrade. No questions asked.

If you can tell me why I got four completely different responses from four different shops, I will vote for you for president.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hee. I'd rather not be president if it's all the same to you, but I think the short answer is "Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore."