Monday, August 2, 2010

To Come Right

Here's another one:

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." - Philippians 4:13 (NIV)

In Afrikaans:
"Ek kan onder alle omstandighede regkom deur Hom wat my krag gee." - Filippense 4:13 (NLV)

Back to English:
"I can come right under all circumstances through Christ who gives me power."

The phrase "to come right" would be understood by anyone who speaks English, but it is not a phrase used in American English at all. In South Africa, however, it's a different story. When my son corrects his maths mistakes he tells me "I set my sums right." When someone is sympathising with me they will say, "Ag, don't worry. It will come right in the end."

I love this phrase because it is filled with hope. Things that were wrong, bad, distasteful, sad, or unpleasant will be set right, made right. Even our very selves can "come right" by the power of God.

No comments: