Thursday, August 5, 2010

What a Sticky Mess We Weave...

... when candy floss gets on your sleeve!

I volunteered to help at my kids' school's Soap Box Derby next Friday. The school told me that they have a candy floss (cotton candy) machine but no one knows how to use it, so would I please take it home over the weekend and figure it out? (Why do I always get the sticky jobs? Last time it was the slurpee machine...)

I spent the afternoon looking up "How to Make Candy Floss" articles on Google and WikiHow and ended up with YouTube disaster videos of candy floss-making gone awry. (I confess I'm a little scared now. Is it too late to back out?)

I finally found a "Candy Floss Making Tutorial" video that tells you everything you need to know about the Gold Medal X-15 Whirlwind Candy Floss Machine. I could not stop laughing. It sounds like the name of a fighter jet. In fact, it's so impressive that I might just add this skill (assuming I can master it) to my C.V. - expert operator of the Gold Medal X-15 Whirlwind (both the X-15A and X-15R models) candy floss machine.

But the truth is, learning to operate a candy floss machine is like a bad, bad pick-up line: "You see, there are these two floaters attached to the head that give additional air current to control the floss, and if you twist the leading edge of the floaters down like so, you'll get more lift to the candy floss."

More on this later...

No comments: