Sunday, September 5, 2010

Torn

It's a strange feeling, trying to resume normal life, trying to go about regular chores, when the strike is still on and there is so much need. We went to a rugby game last night, and while we had a great time, I felt twangs of guilt. But on the other hand, it's not good to work yourself to death. One needs times of rest and refreshment. It's just that... when a country is in times of crisis, how much rest do you allow yourself?

I want the strike to be over. I want to volunteer at the hospital, but I have a job that I've been putting "on hold." I want to life to be back to normal. And I wonder... how many people all over the world wish that? I think of people in Afghanistan, Haiti, Pakistan, Iran, who just wanted life to go back to the way it was, but have had to adjust to a new "normal." Often, these new "normals" aren't ideal, or even good.

So how do you juggle doing what's best for your family, what's best for you, and what's best for mankind? Because lately, I really don't know.

No comments: