Monday, April 11, 2011

I'm in Love

I've posted the Preamble to the South African Constitution before and won't post it again, but it really is a beautiful piece of work. I read it again today and just can't get over how poetic and... good it is (I know, that sounds cheesy).

South Africa has one of the most progressive constitutions in the world, with a Bill of Rights that not only rivals that of the U.S. Constitution, but may even surpass it. And yet when I read it - and all that it outlines - and then look around me at what's actually going on, I can't help but feel sad. There is so much work to do to reach those lofty ideals, and so many who have gotten side-tracked by selfish ambition.

One of my favourite phrases in the Preamble is this: "... improve the quality of life of all citizens and free the potential of each person..." How could you not love a government who wants to free the potential of each person? And it made me think - what am I doing to free the potential of each person? Can we really depend on government programmes to do that? Or does it require each of us to do our part? I think a little of both.

Call me a nerd but I think if everyone read the South African Constitution - or at least the Preamble - we'd all be inspired to reach new heights in making a difference in this world.

No comments: