Sunday, June 5, 2011

Silent Retreat, Part 4

I continued walking and came to a section of the Botanical Gardens which contained plants from Madagascar, mostly cacti. I thought they looked more like Dr. Seuss plants than cacti, but I was mostly impressed with the amount of thorns on any single plant.

I wish I had that kind of defense system, I mused. Sometimes life hurts, and it would be nice to have a little protection.

Once again the Lord spoke to me: "Annie, you don't need a defense system because I am your Defender. I have redeemed you. I have called you by name. I have purchased you with my blood. You are Mine. I will assist you. I will encourage you. I will protect you. I will even console you, because I love you."

And that's when it hit me - I do not need to fear the yoke Christ beckons me to take upon myself. His yoke is lined with love (whereas mine seems to chafe and cut and is rather ill-fitting). To submit to Christ and obey Him with complete trust is... pleasant. Yes, pleasant! And that was a revelation to me.

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." - Matthew 11:29-30

No comments: