Wednesday, July 18, 2012

More Thoughts on Being an Amateur

In my last post I wrote, "I realise that most of us have to earn a living, provide for families, etc., which usually takes up most of our time.  I do wonder, however, what it would be like if we pursued being an amateur at one thing..."  This makes the assumption that you don't love or aren't passionate about your occupation or providing for your family.  Bad assumption!

I thought about deleting the post but decided against it, just to show that I sometimes (though less often than I'd like) catch my mistakes.  It does seem, though, that for many people, what they do for a living isn't something they really enjoy; it's just "their job".  I know that for some, life circumstances have happened in such a way that it wasn't possible to pursue certain dreams... but what about now?

I don't want to reach the end of my life, look back, and have a million regrets. I want to use whatever gifts or skills I have, pursue that about which I'm passionate, and make the most of my life - of each day.  Tomorrow is not promised.

So once again, here's to being an amateur and doing what you love... whether you get paid or not.

No comments: