Saturday, July 14, 2012

Thoughts on Working Cross-Culturally

"In Christian mission the goal is not that some people 'out there' are brought closer to God by our work, but rather that we are all brought closer to God... How many of us have learnt too late that our initial idea, that by serving the world we will help bring God to others, has eclipsed the wisdom that in serving the world we will find God there." - Peter Rollins, How (Not) to Speak of God
I am horribly ashamed to admit this, but when I first moved to South Africa I thought I knew exactly what to do.  That idea was crushed fairly quickly, and thus began my journey of becoming a student of the country.  It is humbling to forever be in the position of learner - the one who does not know (yet!) - and to constantly have to ask questions, study language, feel confused, make mistakes, etc. 


The good side of all of this is that I have gained infinitely more than if I had maintained my "expert" status upon arrival in South Africa.  Most importantly, I have learned much about God through the peoples of South Africa - things I never would have learned in my own country.  This is not due to any fault of my home country, but rather because I believe God puts something of Himself into each culture of the world - some aspect of His character that makes each people group so unique and beautiful.  I never would have realised this if I had maintained an arrogant stance... 

For the purpose of learning (and hopefully stumbling upon more delightful realisations!), I've made peace with being the perpetual student, the one who does not know (yet!).  Humility - which I admit is an emerging skill on my part - is a good thing after all...

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

Oh. Man. I so totally dig this. Like......REALLY dig this. This is incredible. And I agree. As everyone keeps asking about the trip, I keep trying to explain. I'm asked "how was it? What did you do for the people?" How were they?" And I keep wanting to answer with "I don't feel I did anything. I watched. I looked and asked questions. I experienced the way the children at the orphan care canter praise Jesus with overflowing hearts of gratitude for their meals. I looked at the unique ways He created things in South Africa that He didn't here. And I witnessed the uniqueness in how he moves in that country. But I don't feel I brought HIM to the country or it's people. I feel I walked away with MORE of Him. South Africa gave a whole new side of God to ME! I didn't have the words to describe it until you just wrote this. Thank you, Crush! :)