- I came to teach, but I have learned more
- I came to give, but I have received more
- I came to love, but I have been loved more
- I came to serve, but I have been served more
- I came to help, but I have been helped more
- I came to bring Jesus, but Jesus showed me His African side
Despite the many challenges, I wouldn't trade the past five years for anything. South Africa is smoothing out my rough edges and making me into a better person. My faith has grown deeper and richer (though not without painful moments of doubt), I have learned to value relationships and people above tasks, and I have learned to survive and make due when circumstances are less than ideal.
I have grown to appreciate and cherish the beauty of the land and the people. This is home now. I pray that South Africa will continue to teach me her ways, and that I may in some small, humble way, be able to give back.