Tuesday, September 18, 2012

God's Favourite Place

Once upon a time there was a little girl who grew to be a woman but still felt like a little girl inside at times. One night, as she was praying, she asked God if the two of them could go to one of God's most favourite places in all the earth, sit down, and have a heart-to-heart chat.

She imagined that He would take her to the top of a mountain which overlooked the earth and much of creation - Mt. Everest, Kilimanjaro, or the Matterhorn. You can perhaps understand her shock and surprise, then, when God took her to a scene from her childhood.

"Remember how you used to put your arm up in the air as you fell asleep every night and pretend you were holding My hand?" God asked the woman. "That's one of my favourite places. I loved the beauty and simplicity of your faith."

"But God," the woman protested, somewhat embarrassed, "I was a child; I was too stupid to know any better!"

God laughed. "That's what I loved about it."

The two of them sat there quietly, enjoying one another's presence. The woman could have come up with a hundred questions but decided against it. God put His arm around her. For now, it was enough to know that He was near.

4 comments:

janelle said...

love this.

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO MUCH for this. Sometimes I wonder if the intensely visual, interactive way that I talk to God is wrong or just ...imaginary. I'm in a really really hard place right now, and there's a lot of talking to God and I really needed to see this today.

cat said...

love it.

Anna said...

Not imaginary. Certainly not wrong. It is uniquely you and how you relate to God. My opinion matters not, but for what it's worth, I think it's beautifully intimate and precious. I would like to relate to God more like that.