Thursday, September 20, 2012

Stuck on You

As a child I loved stickers ("love" might be an understatement). I put them on everything from letters to lunch bags to clothing to my friends' hands. I saved them when I received them. I gave them away lavishly when I bought them. I collected them and filled several sticker books. Any school paper that received a sticker was meticulously archived. When we went to the store, I went straight to the sticker section to see if there were any new designs.

Scratch-and-sniff stickers were the best. Then came sparkly, metallic stickers. Then came puffy, 3-D stickers. I was in sticker heaven! Time marched on, however, and I eventually forgot all about stickers, until last night.

I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about stickers, and I couldn't turn my brain off. What was it I loved about stickers? And why is it such a pressing matter (no pun intended!) now? At first I thought it was an issue of approval, i.e. stickers as a reward for performing well. But the more I thought about it, the more I realised that it was a matter of acknowledgement.

In receiving a sticker, someone was acknowledging that I had worked hard, or that I merely existed. In giving a sticker, I was acknowledging someone's presence, worth, and sharing from my treasured collection with them in an effort to show them how special they were.

And so I would like to do something very unconventional: I would like to give each of you a virtual sticker to acknowledge you - your presence, your worth, your preciousness. Thank you for being you; I honour that.

1 comment:

Amaris in Wonderland said...

Scratch-n-sniff were the best! :)

When we moved to Brazil, i gave my keepsake sticker collections to my nieces...

I don't know if they will appreciate getting a jump on their collections (with two 1980's photo albums plastered from cover to cover), ...or not, but i'm always sure to buy them a sheet whenever i can.

I adored getting a sticker on my work, but i also read [too much] into which sticker my elementary teachers chose to "represent" my work.

Thanks for the virtual sticker! ;) I actually "stuck" a link to your blog under the Go Global section on mine.