Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Lightness of Hope

“I know the weight of this world can take you down like gravity . . . but hold on, and he’ll break open the skies to save those who cry out his name.” – Tenth Avenue North

"This year, our church did something extra special for the annual spring celebration. Thousands of biodegradable balloons were pumped with helium, and every member of the congregation wrote a small message of hope and tied it to the string of their balloon. When our pastor gave the word, we released the balloons into the sky, and we prayed once the balloons lost their height someone might be encouraged by the message. I wondered about my lime-green balloon, and the little message tied to the string. Maybe it would only end up in the dry brush and stay there for years. Maybe someone would throw it away without noticing the message, but perhaps they would look first. Would it touch them? Is it the right message for them? I hoped God would direct the balloon to the right person, and that they might be encouraged, or even come to know God if they didn’t already. Then it occurred to me to pray for this person. I don’t know their name, gender, or age, but I prayed that they would be inspired and touched by God. I even prayed for their situation, whatever it may be, and hoped they would feel as light as the balloon they found." - Emma

 

No comments: