Wednesday, October 22, 2008

An Unwelcome Guest

I don't know if you can see this, but there's a huge spider just above our family portrait. Anyone who knows me knows that I really, REALLY am not fond of spiders. Snakes are okay, rats, mice, beetles and other insects are good, but spiders give me jelly legs. Dan says, "Spiders are our friends" because they eat mosquitos (and we have lots of those), but still - I wish this eight-legged wonder would find some other family portrait to join, because as much as I can appreciate the fact that God made spiders, I don't want them in my house!

4 comments:

Sam and Shelley said...

Yikes! I am not a fan of spiders, either. In fact, my wife asked me if I thought I could handle the exotic spiders we're likely to encounter once we're on the field. I told her yes, but after seeing this pic...I'm not so sure! haha Just kidding. Though, really, I will probably have a nightmare about this!

Anna said...

At least they're not hairy, if that makes you feel any better (I wish it made ME feel better!). And they're not poisonous. For the most part there are no creepy crawlies in the city - no snakes, malaria-carrying mosquitos, etc. Just lots of little flying beetles, ants and the occasional growth-hormone-ingesting spider!

Chris said...

Do you know what type of spider it is? We get Cane spiders here that are huge like that and supposedly harmless.

Anna said...

Chris, I don't know what the're called, but they're super fast - it's hard to kill them. I've heard there are cane spiders here, too, in the KwaZulu Natal province where sugar cane grows. I've (happily) never seen one, though.