Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Night I Spoke Only Afrikaans

I went to a concert of regional children's choirs with some friends the other night and sat next to an elderly woman who immediately began speaking to me in Afrikaans. I said to her, "Ek is baie jammer Tannie, maar ek leer nog Afrikaans. Ek is van Amerika. Kan Tannie Engels praat, asseblief?" She looked at me and said, "But your Afrikaans is quite good! I think you'll do just fine!" (This was not true, of course, as my Afrikaans is decidedly NOT good, but I think the novelty of an American attempting to speak Afrikaans amuses people over here.)

Throughout the course of the concert, in between songs, she would lean over to me and say something - always in Afrikaans, but slowly and clearly - and was patient in deciphering my responses. I tried desperately to voice what I was thinking: "Dit maak my huil, Tannie. Die musiek is te mooi." or "Ek hou baie van daardie liedjie."

By the end of the concert my brain hurt. I was frustrated because I couldn't say the things I wanted to say. I felt like I had the vocabulary of a 2-year-old. I was tired and even a bit grumpy.

As we said good-bye to one another, I said to her, "Ek is dankbaar dat u vir my stadig praat. Ek waardeer dit baie, Tannie." She leaned over at me, gave me a big hug, then looked at me with one of those deliberate looks (one that makes you pay careful attention) and said, "Don't stop trying."

I am often too timid to speak Afrikaans because I've made some horrendous mistakes ("I want to cook your mother for dinner" being among the most famous of my errors!). It is humbling to learn another language, to attempt to speak and risk making mistakes that cause people to laugh.

I also realised that last night, I spent the whole evening speaking Afrikaans, and while I didn't say as much as I would have had I been speaking English, I actually survived! The friends that I came with said, "How fun that you got to sit by someone you knew!" I looked at them and said, "But I just met that woman!" They looked at me, surprised, and said, "But you were hugging each other! What is her name? Did she speak English to you?"

The truth is, I have no idea what her name was and no, she didn't speak English to me. But I can tell you that she was one of the sweetest, most encouraging people I've met over here.

Isn't it strange how a chance meeting with a stranger can touch your life? Sometimes it is those random meetings with strangers that do more to point us in the right direction than those that are closest to us. What a gift... what a mysterious gift.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I just read this post aloud to Jess -- I've been encouraging her to learn Afrikaans and she has the same fears you have... We both burst out laughing at the fact that you wanted to cook someone's mother :) That's awesome...

I'm forwarding your blog address to her and she might contact you, since we are thinking about moving back and I think it would be good for her to connect with a fellow American in South Africa.

BTW, I taught Jess "Geseënde Kersfees" when were visiting last time, and unfortunately my dear mom loved her accent so much that whenever we met someone, she would say "Jess! Say 'geseënde Kersfees' to these people!" Oh, parents :)

Anna said...

Well, I didn't actually *want* to cook his mother; it just came out that way!

If you come back to SA, you have to move to Gauteng! I would love to talk to Jess.

Ugh... I can relate to the "Geseënde Kersfees" thing. I get that here all the time, only with my English! ("Say 'banana'! Pleeeassse? Now say 'tomato'").

Unknown said...

Wow, your Afrikaans is superb - I have no idea of what your pronunciation is like, but your writing skills are certainly impeccable.

I sometimes think we Afrikaans people are somehow programmed to believe that the rest of the world secretly understands our language. Just today I said to a friend, "look at the hondjie!" and received a blank stare. Which instantly reminded me that I'm not home and no-one would know what that meant!

ROSIE said...

Awww sis, what a precious evening...I really empathized with your feelings because I remember being a guest in a Surinam/Dutch family home. After an evening of trying to speak Netherlands Dutch to a six year old and a two year old, and feeling like they BOTH spoke it better than I did...both little girls said "Ik hou van jou!" and gave me big hugs and kisses. :)

I was touched, but wondered if I'd committed any terrible faux pas; whether their giggles were at my horrible Dutch or because they were just having fun with me. I said as much to Jannie, their mother, who replied, "Dianne! They understood you perfectly. And they loved every minute of it. And if you can understand their incorrect grammar and baby talk in another language, you're doing pretty good. Don't give up, and don't worry what others think!"

:)

Love you!

Anna said...

Hey Rian - don't know if you'll get this, but...

I can't comment on your blog anymore as it blocks users behind proxies. Dan says all of South Africa is behind a proxy as there is only one ISP address for the whole country and everything is filtered through it. Is there any way you can fix that? (your blog, not the internet problems in SA, but since we're on the topic...)