Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Rooting for the Underdog

In a bizarre twist of fate, South Africa and USA are both playing in the Confederations Cup semi-finals. The two least likely teams have come up from behind and.... my mind begins to picture a repeat of the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team or the Jamaican bobsled team.

I love rooting for the underdog (maybe that's why I'm a Chicago Cubs fan). When a team/a group/a country rises up against all odds and triumphs - there's something in my heart that wants to burst, like a flower that can't wait to bloom and explode into colour. When a person rises up against all odds and triumphs, that is redemption at its best. God reaches down, finds us with all our pain and our junk, sees something beautiful in us, makes us holy. It's the Jamaican bobsled team all over again, only way better!

I wonder how many people give up too soon, can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, don't see the potential lying hidden within them? To you I say, HANG ON WITH STUBBORN TENACITY!!! If you are an underdog, I am rooting for you!

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name, you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour." - Isaiah 43:1-3

No comments: