Thursday, July 23, 2009

Getting Used to Anomalies

When we first moved to South Africa, I compared everything to the U.S. If something didn't make sense to me or seemed "wrong", I would comment on how they should do it like they did "back home." And while this is probably normal for those who move cross-culturally, I am slightly embarrassed to admit to such thoughts.

Today, however, I realised that I am doing this far less often. Hopefully that's a sign which means I'm adjusting to life here. Case in point: we pulled into a petrol station to fill up our car, and two guys were smoking. I said, "Isn't that rather dangerous?" Dan replied, "That's nothing. Sometimes even the employees smoke." We both looked at each other, shrugged, and giggled.

(but if we blow up, Dan, I just want to tell you that I love you!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This reminds me of a quote I read a long time ago in the book The Art Of Travel (http://bit.ly/1C9bT8). It said something like:

"Whenever you travel, remember that the country you're in wasn't designed to make you feel comfortable. It was designed to make its citizens feel comfortable."

When I first got to the US, I was annoyed/perplexed by similar small things -- why is the money all the same color and size? Why isn't tax included in price tags?

Now it's all just part of life :)

Anna said...

Yes, I have to say, I love it that the VAT is already added in, and that the notes are different sizes/colours. I also like it that the chemists can actually answer questions and give advice, unlike pharmacists in the U.S.

Sam and Shelley said...

Oh, and don't forget that the petrol stations are Full Service. Something you don't see very often back here in the States.