Friday, July 10, 2009

I Know Her Name

This is just a face to most of you, but I know her name - Joyce. Joyce lives in a two-room house with her mother, two sisters and her baby daughter.

Last week Joyce died. She can't have been more than 20 years old.

I feel sad, and I think what bothers me most is that too many of us debate the world's problems, philosophizing and offering solutions without actually getting to know the people for whom we're busy "changing the world."

Everyone has a story to tell. Maybe we should do more listening and less talking.

2 comments:

HC1MN said...

Joyce had pretty teeth. Who could have taken such a beautiful picture of her? She didn't look very sick. May the callouses of this life never dull your sensitivity and nimble ability to record the passing of such a person as Joyce. Be they beautiful or homely, God's image never changes.

Kathy C said...

Thanks for "being there" to listen Angela!! Thanks for the reminder <3