Saturday, September 12, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

Today is the two-year anniversary of our moving to South Africa. In order to celebrate, I've enlisted the help of some special guests to tell you what they love about life in South Africa. So, without further ado, please welcome my family:

Dan (my handsome husband): I love how I can show up at a friend's house and stay for an hour with no warning. I like it that people wrinkle their noses when I ask for my coffee black. I discovered rugby and while I'm not a fanatic, I'm a growing enthusiast. I love the way that traffic has a much more natural flow than a directed flow; it's relaxed and free. I like how people take minor irritations in stride and how they're creative about their solutions. I love the smell just before a storm.

Emma (11 years old): I love the beauty of South Africa and the nature - the animals and birds - our school, our church, boerewors, chocolate and the rain.

Lucy (9 years old): What I like about South Africa is Cadbury chocolates, boerewors, and all the people are very friendly here. South Africa is a very beautiful country ,and I'm glad we live here. Oh yes - the thunderstorms and rainstorms here are awesome! Once, one of them lasted a whole week (well, not exactly a WHOLE week, but six days)!

Benjamin (7 years old): I like it that there are beautiful flowers and there are nice people and there's lots of good food. I also like my school, and I have lots of friends.

As for me, I like it that it's acceptable to put ice cream on waffles and that you can get advice from a pharmacist (chemist) without them having to worry about liability. I love the fresh fruit juices, the awe-inspiring thunderstorms, that you can always tell what month it is by what tree is blooming, that people are more important than tasks or possessions, and the incredible sunsets. Living in South Africa has taught me flexibility, how to be more relational, and how to relax when things don't go my way (okay, so that one's an emerging skill). I love it that on any given outing, I can hear at least three different languages being spoken, and I love waking up to the symphony of birds outside my window. I love calling my children to the dinner table with a vuvuzela (hee hee), and I love rugby (Go, Sharks!).

4 comments:

beti said...

and I loved hearing from each of you on this subject! Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary in South Africa! Much love from California.

liza said...

Congratulations, to the whole family. I can't wait to celebrate my first anniversary.

I totally agree on everything you said. Except, what's with cheering for the underdogs. We are Blou Bulle fans. Just had to add that in there.:D

Unknown said...

Oh, how I miss home now.

PS Go Stormers.

Anna said...

I *knew* you would be a Stormers fan. So explain this: what is the difference between the Stormers and Western Province? I can't figure out which is which.

And Go Bokke! for winning the Tri-Nations!