Sunday, September 6, 2009

Time to Put it Into Practice

Our pastor has been speaking on the theme of "Giving Grace" this term. Last week we all had "grace assignments". It has been good to not merely sit in church and listen to nice words, but to put them into practice.

Last night we had a special worship service at church. During the service, I was robbed. Someone got into my handbag and took everything of value - my cell phone, my wallet, my driver's license, bank cards, etc. When you live in a foreign country, those things are hard to replace. I felt violated, but I decided not to let satan rob me of my joy.

As I lay in bed last night, I began to think, Is it possible to extend grace - to give grace - to someone you've never met? The more I thought about it, the more I thought that yes, perhaps through our prayers we can speak grace over someone whom we've never met. I made a conscious decision to forgive the person who took my things, and to pray God's blessing and favour over that person. I prayed that last night's theft would be a moment that God redeems, a moment when good triumphs.

I don't know how, when, why, who or what, but I know that this morning I woke up feeling joyful. I have released my losses, and I am choosing to have a good attitude. I will keep my eyes on Jesus, not on my circumstances. I am learning (note the present active participle there) to give grace.

No comments: