And then there are moments which make up for all of the other moments. Moments that make it all worth it. Moments that cause you to wonder why you ever questioned God. Moments that make you feel unworthy as a mother. Moments that cause you to cry for all the right reasons.
Yesterday my son wrote me a letter. It was entitled, "My Promise Scroll." Now you have to understand that this came on the heels of one of the roughest parenting weeks ever. Ben got his first detention at school. Lies were flying. Homework was missing. Parents were crying. Despair was encroaching.
Here are the contents of Ben's letter:
1. I promise not to disobey.I promise, too, Ben. I love you soooo much! And if I fail, at least I can stay at room temperature. That's one thing I can promise you for sure. (Oh, Jesus, help me to be what Ben needs me to be. Give me grace for each day and help me to see Him through Your eyes.)
2. I promise to be honest.
3. I promise not to lie.
4. I promise to be loyal.
5. I promise to forgive.
6. I promise to love you forever.
7. I promise to be at room temperature.
8. I promise to be kind.
9. I promise to make the right choice.
10. I promise to be there when things are right.
11. I promise to be there when things are wrong.
12. I promise to be in the family that is forever.
13. I promise to be an Erickson.
14. I promise to be (and here he inserted his full name), who I am!!!