Friday, May 13, 2011

Thursdays With Auntie Hope

Yesterday Auntie hope was in a much better mood. Her only complaint was that her daughter hired a cleaning lady to come twice a week. I wondered why she would complain about this rather than appreciate it until I considered both sides of the story:

The daughter's perspective: My mom is 84. She shouldn't have to work so hard and has earned the right to take it easy in her final years. I will hire some help for her to relieve the burden. She will be so glad.

Auntie Hope's perspective: You have taken away the one thing I can do and control, the one thing I'm still good at - the ability to clean my house. What am I supposed to do now? I feel so useless.

It's amazing, isn't it, how we can approach a fact from completely different perspectives. I wonder sometimes how we humans get along at all (and yet it explains all that conflict...)

No comments: