Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sawubona, iNingizimu Afrika

On my way to church this morning I saw a man on the side of the road being assisted by an ambulance crew. He couldn't even sit up, which led me to be assume he was either drunk or dying. Judging by his gaunt frame and the look in his eyes, I am guessing it was the latter.

In that moment, when most people would look away, something snapped in me. My mind finally caught up with my body and a feeling of settledness came over me. As I drove past the burnt veld and the winter landscape, past the street hawkers and newspaper sellers, reassurance washed over me and I made this commitment:
Republic of South Africa, I am making my home with you. I will not turn my eye from your pain and suffering or from your brokenness. I will listen to you. I will reach out and touch you. I will love you. I will journey with you as I follow Jesus and try to understand how His love and redemption make all the difference in the world. I will share my life with you and one day I shall die as one of you. Sawubona, iNingizimu Afrika. I see you.

No comments: