Friday, June 22, 2012

Thoughts on Being Present to the Moment

I saw a bird I've never seen before the other day - a bearded woodpecker.  I would never have seen it if I hadn't been waiting outside for a few minutes, and I never would have seen it if I hadn't looked up.  Usually in such circumstances, I would quickly check my email or answer some text messages, but this time I chose to intentionally be present to my surroundings and to the present moment.  I was rewarded with the honour of viewing a new (to me) bird species.

 I paused and marvelled, for moments such as these are holy moments.  It is one thing to be amazed by viewing a new species; it is altogether wonder-ful to consider that there are thousands upon thousands of additional species my eyes have not (yet) seen! To think that I would never have seen this incredible bird if I had not chosen to be intentionally present to the moment makes me pause and consider how many beautiful things I have missed because I was not present - my mind was preoccupied with to-do lists or the circumstances of the day.

When did emails and text messages become more important than God's creation?  Is there a way to reverse this, to reclaim a sense of wonder and presence to what is around us?  May I dare to suggest, absolutely!... if we breed and foster an intentionality about it. 

(By the way, the emails and text messages were all attended to a little bit later... not one was "lost".)

No comments: