Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's Been Five Months Since I've....

  • used a dishwasher
  • used a clothes dryer
  • been to Starbucks
  • had A/C or heat in my house
  • heard an American accent
  • sent my son to school with shoes
  • driven on the right side of the road
And you know what? I'm okay! I am really beginning to feel at home here. I look forward to the sunsets every evening, the cool breeze that awaits me after a long day, the still of the early morning. I love the dust of the red clay soil, the brilliant colour of bouganvillea flowers, the green of the indigenous cycads. The only thing I truly lack is a few friends.

Newspapers will tell you all that is wrong with South Africa - and there is much - but I will tell you that there is no safer place to be than inside the will of God. I see the soul of a Nobel Laureate in every human being. This country is teeming with 44 million people all made in the image of a Holy God. Oh to be the one God uses to nurture, educate and inspire! To find what each person is great at, light the fire underneath that passion, and set their feet on a trajectory that will change their life, their nation, our world! "The supreme desire of my life is to give myself in reckless abandon to Christ." - Ed McCully

Who needs a dishwasher?

1 comment:

Shawn Stutz said...

Your last line should read, "Who needs a dishwasher when you have kids" (ha ha).

It's funny how much we find we don't have need for specific traditions or machines.

The car thing would be odd for me, but the dishwasher would mess with Michelle for sure.

God Bless... see you soon.
How's the orphan update work going? Just curious, not pressuring!