Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What's in a Name?

I met a man today named "Goodenough" (one word). I couldn't help but wonder what his mother was thinking when she named him. Usually African names have wonderful meanings like "gift", "given" or "welcome". Did she think, "Well, he's not particularly a handsome baby, but he has ten fingers and toes. He's good enough"? And what if he lives up to his name, never doing more than is needed to just be "good enough"? I almost wanted to apologise to this guy on behalf of his mother.

I am beginning to think that there is more power to names and their meanings that we Americans typically believe. My own name means "heavenly messenger". I don't know if I am that, but at least it gives me something to strive for. And of course, we can't help our given names. It's not as if we chose them ourselves. But back to Goodenough...

I don't want to just be "good enough". Don't misunderstand me - I don't have to be the best - but I want to DO my best. It is easy to do the bare minimum to "get the job done", to fulfill requirements, but is that what God calls me to do?

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." - I Corinthians 9:24-27

2 comments:

Shawn Stutz said...

great insights

Unknown said...

You touch on an interesting topic - it reminds me of The Prayer of Jabes by Bruce Wilkinson. Interestingly, his name in Hebrew meant "Pain", yet his prayer to God was such that "He was more honored than his brothers" (1 Chronicles 4:9-10.)I don't know if you have read the book, because it is inspiring!
Regards
Johanita
johanital@telkomsa.net