Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Tribute to Grandpa


This is a picture of Grandpa Williams. We just got news yesterday that Grandpa is not doing well, and may not live much longer. It is really hard to be so far from family at such a time.

Grandpa was the pastor who married us. This morning we read 1 Corinthians 13 in devotions, and I remembered halfway through that that was the chapter Grandpa preached on at our wedding.

When our girls were born, Grandpa was one of the first to come visit us at the hospital. When we adopted Ben, Grandpa was there at the airport to pick us up and meet the newest member of our family.

When we made the decision to come to South Africa, it was Grandpa who prayed over us, blessed us, and had a farewell dinner for us. Grandpa met us at the airport and, together with mum and dad, was the last to see us off. Even then Grandpa was praying over us and encouraging us (as we were stripping off our clothes to go through airport metal detectors!).
Every year on my birthday, Grandpa and Grandma send a card with a typewritten letter enclosed. The letter is always encouraging and filled with blessing, as well as the charge to "Keep on keeping on" in becoming more like Jesus.

I suppose I am selfish, but I don't want that to stop. I am so fortunate to have married into a family with such a godly legacy, and I don't want that to end. I want to know that Grandpa will always be there to encourage me, pray for me, and answer the questions I have. When it comes to family, Grandpa is always the first to arrive and the last to leave, and I want that to go on forever.

We looked into Dan's flying home to be with Grandpa, but were reminded that we can't leave the country until our residence papers are processed. While they are still "in process" (and have been for months), we are stuck. I would ask you to pray that our permits will be approved so that Dan can be with Grandpa one last time.

2 comments:

ROSIE said...

Annie & Dan,

I can only imagine that it is heart-rending to not be able to rush to Grandpa's side right now. We will be praying that, Lord willing, bureaucratic doors will open so that Dan can go.

The impending departure of someone we love from their earthly bodies is saddening...but as I contemplate what you have written, I also feel a great sense of joy imagining what it will be like for Grandpa when it is time for him to step out of his weary body and at last step into the arms of his Lord and Saviour and hear, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant!".

Love,
Rosie

"And with your final heartbeat
Kiss the world goodbye
Then go in peace, and laugh on glory's side...and
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus and live!"

(Chris Rice)

Shawn Stutz said...

I'm sorry for the news. You're prayed for today.