Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Weekend of Livers

I hesitate to write about this, because my South African friends will think nothing of it and will tease me mercilessly for even mentioning this, SO... read at your own risk!

I've discovered that I like eating liver. I had lamb liver wrapped in caul fat for dinner on Saturday (commonly known around here as "Skilpadjie"). Dan braaied them, and they were excellent. On Sunday I had chicken livers in monkey gland sauce for lunch (which contains neither monkeys nor glands...). They were also excellent. Oh, and then there's my favourite snack, liver spread on crackers. I could eat that every day!

I don't know why Americans aren't big on eating liver. People here eat it all the time, and it's a good source of nutrition. Strange how food habits differ so widely between cultures, and I don't just mean the issue of what ingredients are locally grown and available - I mean the difference between what is considered "gross" and "delicious".

Americans are pretty picky eaters (no offense). I can think of a million foods that most Americans won't eat but the rest of the world enjoys. I tried to think of American foods that other nations/cultures would disdain. I came up with Jell-O salad: If you ask me, food shouldn't wiggle. I'll stick to the livers, thanks.

6 comments:

beti said...

Annie
glad you tried the monkey gland sauce on something. Hard to believe our little group with varying degrees of pickiness had tried it before you. (we liked it too!) Not sure how we would do with the livers. I didn't like them as a kid and haven't had any since... We definitely are a picky bunch over here. (went to Tasty Thai last night - thought of you and Dan)
Love you guys

Anonymous said...

Annie--
First calling you "Annie" is fun!! You should have started this years ago!!
Hey! I always thought that lots of people thought that peanut butter was disgusting!! And you know what, if you hadn't told me that picture was a liver dish, I probably would not have known it and would be happy to gobble it up! In fact i still will--my initial reactionw was " wow! I've seen liver actually look yummy!! Must get recipe!" I don't suppose I can pick up monkey gland sauce at SuperWalmart though-- maybe Costplus???
I think the liver aversion is a "slimy" situation--how do you de slime it??It's all in the texture!
Anyway, My sweet little somebody is hungry, so have a wonderful day! Oh, before I leave, MAF came to our church today and I thought of you!!!Love you more than water! oh... sorry! one more thing! Say hello to "mum" (heehee.... so cute!) and Marty for me!

Dimi said...

I love livers, never tried it with Monkey glad sauce tho, Will make a point out of it.

Shawn Stutz said...

yuck!

christoslife said...

Hey A you must try our curry tripe and smiley (half a sheeps head done to perfection or somewhere close to it). Puffadder is also good. Liver, kidneys and other goodies stuffed into the larger intestine of a cow slow grilled over an open fire.

Unknown said...

actually, lots of people eat jello-o salads in SA! my mom used to make it for us at braai's or any dinner party... yum!!