Wednesday, May 7, 2008

You Say Gasoline, I Say Petrol, Let's Call The Whole Thing Off

Today the price of petrol went up 55 cents per litre. This translates to about US$4.76 per gallon. I know those of you in the US are complaining about the rising cost of petrol (gasoline), but you really do have it better than most countries in the world. Late last night there was a queue at the petrol station, as everyone was topping up their tanks before the price increase today.

This is a photo of a Smart Car. I think it's electric, which means I'd save a fortune on petrol. But given our precarious situation with electricity (i.e. load shedding (known in California as "rolling blackouts", which led to having The Terminator for our Governor)), I don't know how practical the Smart Car is. It also will not hold five people (or eight, as we have three Danish dudes living with us for two weeks).

My friend calls my van a "Boeing." I think, despite the fact that petrol is expensive, I'll keep my "Boeing". I feel safer when those taxis are edging me out of my lane... If only I had a few turbo engines, but then, that would require more petrol, wouldn't it?

No comments: